Top 10 Back to School BlogsPosted: August 15, 2012
It has been a year since I started my blog, Your Education Doctor. With the new school year about to start, it’s a good time to look both back and forward. I hoped that my blog would take some of the pressure off parents and to make you feel in control and empowered. I wanted to help you find your way through the school system so that you could get the most out of your school on behalf of your child. I hope that, in some small way, I have accomplished that goal.
There is no question that parents are their children’s best advocates, but parents can’t be effective unless they are informed; they need to play with a full deck. My mission continues to be to empower parents to better understand and navigate their children’s schools with the insider information, unvarnished truth, and useful strategies I acquired in the trenches and at the top levels in public and nonpublic schools.
Thank you to subscribers to Your Education Doctor and to my Twitter (@DrMerylAin) followers for your ongoing support. Please let your friends know about my blog, and tweet me your questions and concerns or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the course of the year, I’ve made so many terrific friends online. I want to especially thank Dr. Marilyn Price-Mitchell, Danielle Wiener-Bronner, Liza Burby, Melissa Taylor, Suzanna Narducci, Dennise Goldberg, Myrdin Thompson, Mindy Lampert, Joe Mazza, Steve Constantino, Rick Ackerly, and Dr. Doug Green.
I’ve been fortunate to have my work published on a number of other sites, including ParentNet Unplugged, Huffington Post, Parenting.com, Long Island Parent Magazine, Special Education Advice, and TweenParent.com. As we plan for the first day of school, here are some of those articles, which I hope will assist you in getting your kids off to a successful school year!
- Essential Back-to-School List for Parents: The One the School Doesn’t Give You, ParentNet Unplugged
- Tips for Transitioning to a New School, Parenting.com
- How to Help Your Middle School Child Succeed, TweenParent.com
- PTA — Gateway to Engagement, Advocacy, and Access, ParentNet Unplugged
- Parents: Do You Know Your Rights?ParentNet Unplugged
- Is Public Education Really Free? Huffington Post
- Do You Know What’s Going on in Your Children’s Schools? PBC.org
- Ask the School Expert: Assessing Kindergarten Readiness, LI Parent Magazine
- Do You Need A 504 Plan for Your Child’s Health Needs?Special Education Advisor
- Interview about Parent Power, Imagination Soup